Youth Voices Contest 2021
You(th) Matter invites you to express your views on the relationship between policing and democracy, in a national competition to win cash prizes. We want to hear from you! The Youth Voices contest will showcase youth writing, film, and artwork from communities nationwide.
THIS YEAR'S TOPIC:
What is the role of policing in fostering democracy “by the people, for the people”?
There are many ways to address this question. Suggestions are listed below. These are meant to provide inspiration and a starting point. You can choose one or focus on the general topic from your unique point of view.
- What does policing in the United States need in order to better reflect democratic values?
- How could the idea of democratic checks and balances be applied to American policing to promote justice and equity?
- Do local police understand your community and the relevance of the democratic principle “by the people,
for the people” in their work?
- What would you want police officer to know to better help them understand and serve your community?
Choose a Category for Your Entry
CATEGORY 1: WRITING
Your entry may be an essay, poem, or story between 500-2000 words in length. All writing must be submitted as a pdf or Word document.
CATEGORY 2: ARTWORK
Entries in this category will be submitted as a photograph or scan of your original artwork. Your original artwork can be a drawing, painting, cartoon (single panel or panel cartoon strip), a photograph or collage of photographs.
CATEGORY 3: VIDEO
A video entry can be a documentary, skit, animation, song, rap, or spoken word piece. Video run time should be limited to 5 minutes or less.
Prizes will be awarded to a Winner, Runner Up and Second Runner Up in each category.
- Each Winner will receive $1,000.
- Each Runner up will receive $500.
- Each Second Runner Up will receive $250.
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Contestants must be between 14-18 years old.
- Each contestant may only submit one entry.
- All submissions must include your name, age, and location. This information will be kept confidential and will be used only for contest purposes.
- All artwork and video must include a written description (100-200 words) about the artist’s intent and the inspiration behind it.
- Contest begins July 15, 2021 and ends Nov. 15, 2021.
- Entries must be submitted or postmarked by midnight EST, Nov. 15, 2021.
- Participants must agree to grant copyright permission to You(th) Matter Strategies for Youth. All entries will become property of You(th) Matter and Strategies for Youth for exclusive use and reproduction.